Friday, April 9, 2010

The Birth Of A Dream

Dear One,

As I write this 100th article, waves of distant memories flood my soul. I recollect the days, when I could hardly hold my tongue in conversation, to the pathetic grammatical mistakes, fit to bring down the ire of my language teachers in school. Looking back, it's highly satisfying to see myself come a long way; from being a thorough vernacular rustic, to one who decently manages to ink down his thoughts with comparative ease.

Due thanks to one school teacher of mine, who fueled my imagination and encouraged me not to take the caustic comments of others seriously, but to constantly work on self-improvement. I took her advice to heart and worked like a mad man in search of sweet sanity. Day and night, I worked one-pointedly to improve my language and general knowledge by reading books, writing broken letters of intent to many souls around the world (pen pals), listening to the BBC radio as early as 3.30 a.m. every single morning, to understand the  correct pronunciation of words. Yet when it came to actual speaking, I was a sad goner. I couldn't muster enough courage to talk aloud in front of an audience. I flummoxed with my words, chocked myself each time in utter despondency and confusion over the intricate nuances of language.

But I had the will to survive. Many were the instances, where my friends mocked at me and my "Southie" accent, and never even considered me fit for worldly existence. I was ear-marked as a life-long disaster, with no promise of building a great career or even a chance to earn a decent living. I was a worthless vagabond, jumping at every opportunity to be left alone and thinking of things unthinkable to the common mind. In short, I had tasted the pleasures of being an out and out nature's eccentric. I took time to think for myself, pondering over some nameless fascination or the other, only to be left behind by my career minded, intellectual friends.

Thus started my sole journey of self-discovery and self-expression. Rejected and ridiculed by the world, I found comfort in the various authors and their writings. They slowly took over the place of my fleeting friends, transforming my life into a picture of million words and ideas. They spoke to me in their own unique tongues and granted me a peek into their vivid beautiful minds. I too wanted to write like them and I wanted the world to hear me. A dream of becoming a writer was finally born.

After years of only thinking of becoming a writer and with no formal aptitude to be one; it all happened through a vague accident. A cousin of mine wanted me to write a testimonial for his FB account, and when I managed to post it online, many wonderful comments came my way, paving a path for my fading dreams. On the eve of last year's Christmas, I impulsively opened a blog account and started penning down my thoughts copiously every day. No matter what the situation, I made sure to dedicate at least half a hour everyday for soulful searching and reproducing it in words to the best of my abilities. The blog was aptly named "Soulful Journeys" and within months of singular dedicated writing, it transformed itself beautifully into a colorful bouquet of offerings for the readers, who take time and pleasure to read and appreciate it.

I know, I still have a long way to go towards refining my writing skills. It is still unfinished and naive, filled with bland smilies and metaphors at each step. However, thankfully, my first step was a fruitful impetus to take the road ahead, filled with immense delight and opportunities. I will keep working towards my goal of penning down a full-fledged book before my earthly role comes to an end someday. Till then, I shall keep dreaming and find newer styles to express my dreamy thoughts to the real world.

Thank you, each one of you, for visiting my blog often; liking what I write and encouraging me for what I am. Truly, a word of encouragement is all it takes to help someone pursue their dreams. And as someone wisely said, "If you want to be remembered, write something that's worth reading or do something that's worth writing." God willing, I intend to do both.

Peace in oneself. Peace in the world.

P.S. - I intend to take a small writer's break from today, for a few days at least, to replenish my soul with quiet wisdom and soulful musings. See you very soon. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    have gone through a few of your post. You are certainly doing a great job. I wish you best of luck and more learning ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i happened to bump in here. It's quite "soulful journey" that i took. Thanks for contributing so beautifully to zillions of avid readers.

    Good luck,
    Dipti.

    ReplyDelete