Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Chappal Diaries

Dear One,

The road of life, will be filled with gravel and splinters to cut your feet at every step. Yet, you have to keep on walking...for without moving on, you will never find true freedom.

A true friend is the one who walks with you when others prefer to stay. A much neglected friend of ours, in a way, is the one who protects us night and day with it's very life, yet we seldom acknowledge it's existence.

This is the story of the humble Chappals.

Although, an odd thought to conceive of; but few things are really odd in the apparent level. But, the minute you dive deep into it's hidden mysteries, the veil of ignorance is lifted to reveal a grand lesson for you to learn and pass it on.

This is the diary of those very chappals, that have guarded my feet in the sun, rain or when I am just in pain.

The Birth:
'I am born. An animal had to die so I could live. That's the natural law of nature. Human birth is definitely less painful than mine. I had to bear the heavy poundings of the hammer and the harsh treatment of chemicals to make me what I am today. What a painful way to see the light of the world, only to be kept at feet's length. But I don't have any regrets, as everyone has a responsibility to fulfill; to protect and serve is mine.'

The Journey Begins:
'I am sold. My value is hardly recognized, as I am sold at a pittance. My new owner gleans over me with pride, feeling me with his feet, thumping me against the ground, to see if I am able to take the beatings without giving away. I do. I am built for that very purpose. My journey begins. I am glad to be of some purpose. Most of you humans, don't even know the purpose of your existence - at least I do. My new owner, discards my worn out brother for me and I fit snugly on to his calloused feet. He takes me almost everywhere he goes and in return, I ensure his feet doesn't get exposed to the harsh conditions of life. He walks on and I give him company, silently yet steadily protecting him from all the unknown perils below his feet.'

The Trials:
'The journey of life is determined by the trials and tribulations you encounter on the way. That makes it worthwhile or worthless. What's the point of being born with a golden spoon when you can't even taste life and it's true flavors. My owner is a hardworking man and I have to work harder to keep up to his pace. I seldom get respite from his busy schedule. It seems to me, that both of our destinies are tied together by a common thread - Hard work. Nevertheless, working hard is the way of life. The fruits of diligent labor are very sweet indeed.'

Mid Life Crisis:
'Time flies when you are bound to a cause. I never knew when time just flew past, giving me not a chance to ponder over my own well being. I can sense many signs of aging in me, when I see and hear cracks and groans all over. I am afraid, that my owner too might have noticed it. I can see that he has not treated me the way I am supposed to be. The quality of my life is rightfully in his hands - no in his feet. But, in a way, you tend to take for granted the things that are very close to you, till the time it no longer serves your purpose. Then you start finding faults with it and make ways to render it useless.'

The Breakdown:
'I finally give in. It came at a very unexpected moment for me and my master. He wore me with careless abandon and was walking in full stride over sharp rocks and that was when one of my limbs got badly ruptured. He was shocked and clueless at first, but then started hurling abuses on me and my maker for not making me right. I was too numb to react, to my master's taunt and felt sad, not on losing my limb, but on my master's thankless behavior. After serving him for years, with utter dedication, I was about to be declared hopeless. Mysterious and thankless are the ways of you human beings. When someone offers to help fulfill dream, you accept it without shame and the minute your dream's fulfilled, it takes no time for you to turn indifferent and thankless.'

The Repair:
'Well, my master is not planning to repair or rebuild me. A few years back, he would have done so, as he was poor and couldn't afford a new pair. But now, he has three new pairs to choose from. Money and success changes your priorities and perception drastically. Does it not?'

The Meltdown:
'I am lying on a shoe rack completely neglected and forlorn. I smell and reek of agony, not over myself, but the fact that, I could not serve my master any more. You have to pay a high price for loyalty. I paid the price with my very life. I don't know what my future is, but I wait patiently for my master to change his mind and use me once again. What an irony, even when you are put in such hopeless situations, you still cling on to a thing called Hope.'

The Aftermath:
'My purpose is finally served, that's what my master has concluded. He has thrown me away in a heap of garbage for the elements to break me to down to dust. I wait for deliverance and a miracle happens. A man, with an equally weather beaten look like mine, happens to see me rotting in the putrid heap and comes over to pick me up. He cleans me up with his smelly and gnarled hands and I see a faint smile break out on his worn out face. He puts me down and slides his hideous an dirty feet over me. But, deep inside I feel happy to have been granted a fresh lease of life. I realize, that life always gives you a second chance. Don't lay much stress on the package it comes in. It's up to you to recognize it or let it pass away in disdain. I chose to make the best use of it.'

The Conclusion:
'Your loss is someone else's gain. I understand that clearly now. My new master treats me with respect. When life gives you in abundance, you tend to lose sight of values it brings along. But, when life deprives you of almost everything, all things irrespective will be valuable. The one who is wise, will choose to remain equanimous in times of pleasure, so as in pain. Both are impermanent and fleeting so why attach and embitter yourself to the things that are transitory in nature. What goes, shall come back; and what comes back, shall go someday.'

'My journey continues. I walk on, despite the odds. Come rain or sunshine, my job is to serve humankind and relive them of their walking miseries. Whether you recognize my humble services or not, I care not; for, selfless service, you know not.'

Peace in yourself. Peace in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment