Monday, March 29, 2010

Lessons From A Boy Scout

Dear One,

When in school, I was a Boy Scout and it was such a privilege to be one. Those days, it was an unspoken rule; every boy a scout and every little girl a guide. And we loved every bit of it.

Come Friday, we would come dressed in our clean and crisp khaki uniforms, to attend our weekly brotherhood commune in school. The Head Scout - one of our otherwise docile professors would usher us in with great pride and joy into the classroom. On any other working day, he was an unassuming professor of Social Studies, however, on that one special day of the week, he would be transformed into a hero - Our Hero.

The class would begin by us reciting The Oath of Duty -
  • To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law
  • To help other people at all times
  • To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight
Those were the days of least technological and social interventions, granting us ample time to invest in ourselves wholeheartedly. I clearly remember, there weren't many a selection of programs on television, so we made friends with nature and it's secrets. Invaluable lessons learnt then, are my building blocks of existence and survival today. 

It was actually the after-school hours, in which our characters were moulded by our erstwhile Scout leaders, who took special care to transform us into fine individuals. True education is always outside the classrooms; this I learnt very early. I remember the knots and survival techniques taught in those two hour sessions. Those days were dedicated to character building, where invaluable lessons were learnt to help us survive and succeed the challenge of life. 

Many of Scout's lessons are universal as it is applicable for all times and ages. These are some of the lessons I learned being a Boy Scout, through which I successfully transitioned from being a frail, diffident boy to a strong, confident man.

The Scout Law: 

Trustworthy
I tell the truth. I keep my promises. Honesty is part of my code of conduct. People can depend on me.

Loyal
I am true to my family, leaders, friends, community and nation.

Helpful
I am concerned about other people. I do things willingly for others without pay or reward.

Friendly
I am a friend to all. I am a brother or sister to others in my group. I seek to understand others. I respect those with ideas and customs other than my own.

Courteous
I am polite to everyone, regardless of age or position. I know good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

Kind
I understand there is strength in being gentle. I treat others as they want to be treated. I do not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

Obedient
I follow the rules of my family, group and organization. I obey the laws of my community and country. If I think these rules and laws are unfair, I try to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.

Cheerful
I look for the bright side of things. I cheerfully do tasks that come my way. I try to make others happy.

Thrifty
I work to pay my way and to help others. I save for unforeseen needs. I protect and conserve natural resources. I carefully use time and property.

Brave
I can face danger even if I am afraid. I have the courage to stand for what I think is right even if others laugh at or threaten me.

Clean
I keep my body and mind fit and clean. I go around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. I help keep my home and community clean.

Reverent
I am reverent toward God. I am faithful in my religious duties. I respect the beliefs of others.

Being a Boy Scout was the most momentous role of my life. Once a Scout; always a Scout. The way of life, for a Scout is beautifully summarized in it's motto of two simple words - "Be Prepared"

Are you?

Peace in oneself. Peace in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment