Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Writer's Meditation

Dear One,

Greetings!

Writing is my meditation. Early in the morning, with a cup of hot refreshing coffee, I sit with my laptop, staring at the blank screen, waiting for my writer's inspiration. The clock slowly ticks away it's monotonous tune and I attentively wait and watch for words to visit my anxious mind. Within a few minutes of deep contemplation, my mind turns inward and goes blank like a sheet of paper, waiting for an invisible hand to write it's soulful story.

Words seem incomprehensible and for a split second everything stands perfectly still. The busy scene from my balcony too loses its vigor and it goes around in slow motion. The constant morning tweets of  birds, diminish  with each passing minute and finally my mind and heart starts to beat in unison. My mind comprehends what my heart has felt.

That's when it finally happens. A small seed of thought rises from the depths of my being creating subtle ripples of ideas within. Then, hundreds of senseless words start to appear  from no where, as if to support the initial thought. They weave themselves in a peculiar fashion, in a quest to find the right expression. I wait and watch this beautiful play of words and see them take shape to transform themselves into a pleasant literary experience.

Countless words buzz around my head like a swarm of thousand bees and the permutation continues for a bit longer. Ironically, I become mute to this entire wordy episode, and let my mind take charge of itself. It feels as if my mind has a mind of it's own. Strange, but it's true. Every writer knows to when to write and when to keep perfectly quiet; allowing words to find it's own meaning. Words are thoughts crystalized and if used skillfully, it has the power to transform and transcend human limitations.

Finally, a hazy picture paints itself in my mind. I get the plot of my story. The characters too start to take shape and color is added to define each characters uniqueness. I  finally get a glimpse of the entire story. After that, it's all about minor details to be retouched and rearranged to grant a complete and wholesome perspective.

Once again, I hear the noisy roads and the birds chirping, to pull me back into reality. However, I know my mind had found solace for a fraction, in the depths of my very being. I had my meditation and my story is complete for the world to hear. I feel humbled with the experience of meaningless words finding it's ultimate expression by rearranging itself in perfect harmony. Music fills my heart and the newly written lyrics find a perfect match in the melodious notes.

A personal masterpiece is born; and I smile in grateful acknowledgment.

Peace in oneself. Peace in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment